Thursday 25 April 2013

(Vegetarian) comfort food in under five minutes

The dad of one of my childhood friends is a famous diabetes researcher and I tend to Google him every time I'm studying insulin. I recently found this story, which I found very moving.
Melton was a well-established scientist studying frog development in 1993 when his infant son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. This more severe form of the disease requires that diabetics take daily injections of insulin to survive. Without insulin, the body can't convert glucose into energy. Hoping to find a cure for the millions who suffer from type 1 diabetes, Melton turned his attention to stem cells. "When my son Sam was diagnosed, I did what any parent would do: I asked myself, 'What can I do?'" Melton recalled. (http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/melton_bio.html)
The best I could do at this point is cook something delicious. Thankfully, no kids!

Mushrooms marsala:

  • 5-6 mushrooms, the better the better (I used baby portobellos, which are one up or maybe just on par with white button mushrooms, nothing fancy), chopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 large white onion, chopped fine
  • 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp butter (optional)
  • generous splash of wine (doesn't matter what kind -- I used cheap cooking sherry)
  • dash heavy cream (optional -- we had some leftover from last scones weekend)
  • parmesan
  • black pepper
  • 1/4 box pasta

As the pasta water boils, chop the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. In a frying pan over medium heat, melt the olive oil and butter. Once melted, add the onions and garlic, saute until translucent, and then add the mushrooms. Turn the heat to low and add the wine, cream, and black pepper. Simmer until the pasta is done; turn off if the liquid starts to evaporate.

Once the pasta is done, toss everything together in a bowl or frying pan and season with parmesan and black more pepper.


Not the healthiest dinner, but it can be modified to be more or less healthy -- plus, it's comparable to a mac and cheese with more fiber (and flavor) and a lot less cheese.

The play-by-play:





1 comment:

aquakiwi said...

looks delicious! I'm gonna try ;)

Post a Comment