Wednesday 3 April 2013

Chicken soup for the modern med student

It continues to snow, so I will continue to talk about soup. I love soup: it's easy to cook, usually healthy, and makes enough food for several days. These recipes are really from last week, when I made chicken matzoh ball soup for a Seder, then gave the leftovers a makeover later in the week.

In school, we've recently been talking about cultural competency and the use of interpreters. Unsurprisingly, it turns out that many of my classmates are fluent in an Asian language. I'm trying to learn Spanish. Asian languages are intimidating, but Asian home cooking less so; between friends and my dad's interest in Japan, I've tried to pick up some tips. Familiarity with food and holidays is a start towards cultural competency: maybe one day I'll learn some language skills as well.

Jewish doctor soup:

In a large soup pot, boil the following vegetables with a whole chicken until the meat falls off the bone and the soup tastes brothy.
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut in half
  • 1 celery stalk, in half
  • 1 onion, in half
  • 1 or 1/2 celery root
  • several cloves of garlic, optional
  • handful of fresh parsley
  • handful of fresh dill
  • whole peppercorns

At the end, season with salt and pepper and serve with rice, pasta, or matzoh balls. I prefer to make the soup the night (or a few hours) before serving so that I can chill it in the fridge overnight and skim off (and discard) the layer of fat that rises to the top.


Asian doctor soup: Starting with the leftover chicken soup from above, reheat chicken broth with chopped mushrooms and celery and shredded leftover chicken. Serve in small bowls with hot sauce and a drop each of sesame oil and soy sauce, plus cilantro or lime if you have it.


Check out Guatemalan doctor soup here.

No comments:

Post a Comment