Monday 1 April 2013

Easter salad

Before I move on from the arugula-beet-lemon combo that I love so much, I thought I would add a couple more salad ideas:

Easter salad, named for the egg:

  • 1 hard boiled egg (cooked while I was making my coffee and oatmeal before lecture this morning -- place the egg in cold water and boil the water and egg together, 10-12 minutes)
  • 1/2 beet, peeled, sliced, and cooked through (you can drop this in the water with the egg or steam it in advance)
  • handful of toasted almonds, chopped (popped in the toaster for 5 minutes)
  • arugula
  • 1/2 lemon to squeeze over the salad

This salad is fresh and colorful and adds almost no time to your morning. Other variations include arugula, beets, and lemon with steamed lentils (cooked in a rice cooker the night before) and sauteed mushrooms (sliced thin, cooked in some chopped parsley and olive oil for 2-5 minutes on the stove top). Excellent with a slice of bread or a yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment