Thursday 22 August 2013

White girl makes fried rice

There are certain foods that I know how to make quite well, because I have made them a hundred times (tomato sauce) or because I grew up around them (turkey meatballs). Then there are foods that I see the people around me making, and it's fun to try them too (noodle soup).

My housemate makes a healthy version of fried rice for breakfast/lunch all the time. On Monday, another friend, Xin, brought a delicious homemade pork-and-veggie fried rice over for dinner. I like watching people cook dishes that are familiar to them because you can observe their comfort with the ingredients and process.

If you make it right, it seems healthy enough, so I figured I'd try my hand at it.

Zucchini fried rice (for one):

  • (1/2 cup dry) cooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup zucchini, in 1-cm pieces
  • 1/4 cup hard tofu, in 1-cm pieces
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
  • 4 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon each canola oil and soy sauce

Heat canola oil in a frying pan on high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook for a minute. Add rice, stirring, then white parts of scallion. After a minute, add the zucchini, tofu, and green parts of scallion. Clear a portion of your frying pan (or use a separate pan) and scramble the egg directly into the pan; once cooked, stir it into the rest of your rice.* Add soy sauce to taste, stir, then cook for a minute longer until crispy to your liking.

Did I get it right? It certainly tastes pretty good.

*Thanks to Xin for this correction to my procedure! She pointed out that the egg should be scrambled separately and then added, not mixed in wet with the rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to know on how to make that fried rice because I made a recipe for stir fry sauce and I want to add it on that recipe. I hope that I can cook that perfect so that I can taste the real taste of it.

Post a Comment