Thursday 8 August 2013

The Hebrew school paradigm

I was always a good student in elementary school, going so far as to do extra chores around the classroom in fourth grade to rack up "good checks" with my teacher. But in Hebrew school, I was something different. I would sit in the back row and skip the homework, struggling to answer questions about Hebrew vocab when called on. I wasn't proud of this behavior, but it could be fun.

This experience helps me to understand our collective approach to our evidence-based medicine and health-care-in-society classes. As a professor recently told us, we are all gunners, that's why we're in medical school. So it's a bit of a relief when the entire class bands together to do the best we can to give the least effort possible during a few of our required non-science classes. The computer screens below me display Facebook, League of Legends, golf videos, newspaper articles, and the occasional academic slide. Certainly nothing to brag about, but also a sign of collective de-stressing.

Thank goodness my former self can't see me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment