Tuesday 6 August 2013

White coat ceremony 2.0

A friend and I both noticed that since the first years arrived, the second years have been much nicer to each other. In their hesitant and formal speech, clean-cut appearance, and in the packs they move in so as not to get lost, we see how far we have come. It sounds corny, but a hike with friends on Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of the hike we did together before starting orientation. As a result, there are more high fives, more big hellos, more hallway chats. It's what I imagine moving to the midwest would be like.

This afternoon, we "coated" the first years. Here's what I wrote about the ceremony last year:
The white coat ceremony was lovely: second years each gave us our coats and helped to put them on, then sat next to us for the rest of the hour. It was sweet, caring (I felt cared for, at least): the introduction of a mentor, someone who wants me to succeed. And also for a moment I had a flash of myself doing this next year for someone else: proof that I can succeed Year One. In my pocket were three chocolates placed there by my peer.
After each first year received their white coat from a second year, both classes stood and recited the Hippocratic Oath. It seemed appropriate to have this reminder 1) at a time when it's not such a blur and 2) when we're feeling confident and no longer on our toes.

On their best behavior!
(Photo courtesy of Phyllis Ying)

No comments:

Post a Comment