Saturday 22 June 2013

Mind. Blown.

Over the past 24 hours, I was following this recipe, adapted from Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC, which I know makes fantastic breads. Blindly following along (nearly exactly, except that I used two smaller pots instead of one large pot at the end), I had no idea that I would wind up with perfect baguette. The crust, chew, and flavor of this loaf are on par with the best baguette I've ever had. If not for the shape and the fact that it needs an ounce more salt, it would be indistinguishable from the best. I can't recommend the recipe highly enough!

And it takes next to no time, other than the time needed to wait for the bread to rise (18 hours), then rise again (two hours), then bake (30-60 minutes). No kneading. Perfect for a busy med student!

Not to be gross, but after seeing yeast infections all week, it's nice to know that something good can from from yeast as well.

The top crust

The bottom crust

First slices (now gone)

No comments:

Post a Comment