Friday 7 June 2013

Caught in the act!

I feel like the sailor out at sea: water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink!

In this case, I am surrounded by avocado trees, with fruit out of reach both literally and metaphorically. The local tiendas selling all variety of fresh fruit are all fresh out of avocados! As was the supermarket on Monday. This has been very upsetting.

Then today, I saw these bursting bags of avocados at the dock, about to be shipped out! En route to Boston no doubt.


Addendum! I just learned something very interesting. The avocados from around here go to El Salvador, where they are processed into soaps and oils. They are not for eating! The avocados that I can buy at the supermarket in Pana ("in town") are from other regions in Guatemala. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment