Tuesday 21 January 2014

Healthy fried rice

I am not one of those people who can walk in the door and instantly get back to work. Rather than pretending, I've started relaxing for a few minutes when I get home instead of opening my laptop. Lying down, reading my book--or tonight, chopping vegetables. Since receiving a second lesson from my friend Xin, I decided to try fried rice again. I noticed that last time I started by frying the rice first, which I don't think makes sense.

This version of fried rice is heavy on the vegetables, with stir-fry "stuff" dominating over the rice. Plenty of brown rice though, still, to lend a heartiness to this dish on a cold day like today. This is also a good dish for when you're raiding the pantry, in those busy weeks just before an exam (I usually have carrots, celery, and onions in the fridge).

Brown rice vegetable fried rice (~2 servings):

  • 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
  • 1 celery stalk, sliced crosswise on a diagonal
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 4-6 mushrooms, sliced
  • handful of spinach
  • 1" piece of ginger, washed with the skin on, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • tofu, in 1-cm cubes
  • 1 cup brown rice, cooked
  • canola oil
  • soy sauce
  • rice wine vinegar
  • white pepper

In a wok or large frying pan, scramble the egg in about 1 tsp of oil. Set aside. Add more oil to the pan and then the garlic, ginger, and onion; after a minute or two (when fragrant and just gaining color), add the tofu and rest of the vegetables (add the vegetables in the order in which you want them to cook, saving those barely-cooked vegetables for last). After another few minutes, when the vegetables are just softer but not mushy (add spoonfuls of water as needed to keep from burning), add your rice and the scrambled egg. Continue frying until parts of the rice and tofu crisp up a bit, seasoning with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and white pepper to your taste. Garnish with scallion before serving.

I feel better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment