Sunday 19 January 2014

Fish: don't be afraid to cook it!

Over the past 24 hours, I have been attempting to learn the pharmacology of cardiovascular disease. There in my review book, listed in between the statins and "bile acid resins," were the nutritionist's beloved omega-3's, abundant in fish and effective at lowering triglycerides and preventing heart disease. Natural (and delicious) products in there with the best of pharmacology!

As I mentioned previously, my dad sent me home to Albany with fish, which I love, but which I don't like to buy inland (either too expensive at the co-op or too mass-produced-and-frozen-looking at Pricechopper. I'm picky). These are thick steaks, tuna and swordfish, suitable for pan searing and the roasting (rather than frying as I might a thinner piece of fish).

Pan searing and roasting fish: preheat oven to 400 or thereabouts. Roll fish in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Over high heat, add drop of olive oil to a cast iron or other oven-safe pan. Sear fish on one side for 2-3 minutes (until a crust has formed but nothing has burned), then on the other side. Move pan to the oven and cook for 4-5 minutes until fish is medium-rare. (Recipe courtesy Shrink in the Kitchen.)

To make the fish last longer and because I honestly can't eat a huge piece of fish at once, I've been serving it along with a vegetable and starch: over soba noodles and miso soup, alongside Japanese rice and garlicky spinach, over an Italian garlic-and-olive tomato sauce.

 
Tuna over soba noodles and miso soup and alongside Japanese rice and garlicky spinach

Best find this week: bits of lox, though not as pretty, much cheaper at the co-op

No comments:

Post a Comment