Friday 17 May 2013

Maybe it's the work, maybe it's the weather, but I've been cooking less

The year is wrapping up and we are emptying out our cupboards. A friend fed me tomato sauce made with dried porcini mushrooms that lasted me two nights. In my house, a mouse has been helping us with this process. The overall result is that I have been cooking less, cramming more.

As we're transitioning into second year, I wonder if my empathy is at an all-time low. After studying normal human biology for a year, pathologies suddenly seem "cool" and "exciting." It's like they're the badasses who have figured out how to break all the rules. I've spent this year learning the rules, and now I'm about to spend a year learning about how they're taken down. In contrast, I haven't yet met any patients to put a human face on pathology and bring back some of that empathy.

Well, not quite... Yesterday I met my first hospitalized patient. I was freaked out by the gowns and the degree of serious illness, overstimulated by the sounds around us, and conflicted between my desire to interview this man as I would any random person (being highly curious myself) and the need to interview him as I would a patient (as I've been trained to do in the Clinical Competency Center). The key takeaway: more practice is needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment