Thursday 2 May 2013

Another exam week

Do we eat poorly because we're stressed out, or are we stressed out because we're eating poorly? I think both. Today, I treated myself to a decent lunch to trick myself into feeling relaxed for the upcoming test. It actually took only a few minutes, and was made entirely from ingredients I had lying around.

I stopped buying cheese for a long time because it's not very good for you and it's too expensive for my budget, but I recently bought a couple of "sampler" pieces from the co-op for $2-3 each. They're actually much better suited for one person. The following recipes are heavy on veggies, light on cheese.

Mushroom toasts (my dad makes these all the time):

  • 5-6 small mushrooms, sliced or finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 onion, finely chopped
  • ~1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 slices toast
  • few slices hard cheese
  • black pepper

Saute garlic and onion in the oil until translucent, then add the mushrooms and saute until they've shed their water. Spoon onto lightly toasted slices of bread, add cheese, and broil in toaster or oven until the cheese melts and bubbles. Add black pepper to the top.

Meanwhile...

Salad with goat cheese and radishes. Simply toss together:

  • chopped romaine, arugula, salad mix, etc.
  • small handful of almonds or other nuts, toasted and chopped up
  • 2 radishes, sliced thin
  • small piece of goat cheese, crumbled
  • balsamic & olive oil

I'm feeling better already.

2 comments:

jmr said...

so good! i used too much butter when I made this but I should try it again the next time I have some $20 mushrooms lying around.

jmr said...

to clarify:
because I'm highfalutin and only eat the pricey stuff, not because your recipe calls for the pricey stuff.

Post a Comment