Wednesday 19 February 2014

Winter salad to beat those mid-February blues

I can't even talk about renal. Renal is very difficult to understand because all of the processes happening within the kidney, within the nephron, are interrelated, and so content overlaps and is not presented clearly because it cannot be presented all at once. I'll get there. On the other hand, every morning we go through cases that demonstrate how a hospitalized patient can rapidly deteriorate from a relatively healthy state if someone orders the wrong hydration or diuretic treatment. Never before have I felt the extreme importance of a subject as someone who, in two and a half years, will be writing orders for hospitalized patients. That daunting impending responsibility!

My preferred coping mechanism is avoidance -- I can get so much done! Mostly I have spent time in the woods moving quickly so not as to die of hypothermia and breathing so heavily that renal is the last thing on my mind (aka blowing off CO2 to prevent acidemia). 

Monday I went grocery shopping with a friend, who told me that she planned to make roasted tofu over spinach for dinner. I was intrigued; a quick glance at the recipe she sent me yielded this inspiration. I don't usually make new things, but making something new that tastes great is always a fun surprise. 

I wasn't sure how to dress this salad: I didn't want to mess with the strong flavors of the tofu marinade. I almost didn't dress it at all, but I ended up going with a simple sesame paste and lemon that I liked very much.


Roasted sweet potato and tofu over spinach:

  • 2 small sweet potatoes (or carrots), cubed
  • ~1/2 block firm tofu, cubed
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled
Marinade:
  • fresh ginger, about 1 tablespoon, grated
  • soy sauce
  • canola, sesame, and/or olive oil
  • white vinegar
  • sugar or honey
  • cayenne powder and/or chili flakes
  • garlic powder optional
  • black pepper
Salad:
  • cilantro and/or scallion
  • fresh spinach
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon tahini

This can be a one-pot dish. In a large square baking dish, toss together your cubed sweet potato, tofu, and peeled whole garlic cloves. Grate ginger over the top, then add your marinade over the top: about one tablespoon each of soy sauce, oil and white vinegar, then a sprinkling of sugar and spices. Marinate in the fridge for a few hours or bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes, tossing every 5-10 minutes to prevent burning.

Serve over chopped spinach with a cilantro or scallion garnish, and a simple dressing of lemon juice and tahini. Toss to coat. Could also serve over quinoa or brown rice for a heartier dish, but I found this plenty hearty as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment