Thursday 3 October 2013

Transformations II

The other night a friend from home asked me what we're studying these days. "Blood disorders--like bleeding and clotting--and leukemia and lymphoma," I replied. "Blood clots--ew!" was his response.

His reaction reminded me that not too long ago I couldn't have a conversation about a blood clot without feeling sick and faint. And yet without realizing it I've completely changed. We've zoomed in on clots, so that I now think about how you build a clot and how you take one down, almost as if it's construction work. What are the heritable or acquired diseases or drug interactions that impact clotting and bleeding? There's so much more than "clot--gross!" Thank goodness.

For many years I thought eggplant was gross. I didn't like the flavor, texture, or anything about it. Now I love how it's soft and meaty--a great vegetarian substitute!

Barley salad with fall vegetables:

  • 1/2-3/4 cup barley, cooked in a rice cooker with 2:1 water:barley
  • 6 chard or kale leaves, steamed and chopped
  • 1/2 or 1 slice small eggplant, sliced 1-cm thick and roasted in the oven (I used leftovers from this sandwich that I did end up having time to make)
  • few cherry tomatoes, sliced small
  • feta cheese to taste
  • olive oil to taste, about 1 teaspoon

Cook ingredients separately and toss together with olive oil. Enjoy warm or cold!

 
Neither of you scare me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment