Sunday 13 October 2013

Getting into jazz as my uncle is falling out of it

I have always liked jazz: it reminds me of Saturday mornings and the Disney movie "101 Dalmatians." Certain songs by Miles Davis and John Coltrane take me straight back to my parents' kitchen, where those musicians have been on rotation for the past 20 years. But recently, as I have been studying more and have introduced music into my study routine, listening to music for many more hours a day than ever before, I have branched out, delving further into jazz... Nothing particularly creative, mostly artists I have heard at home, Christian McBride and Wynton Marsalis, Charles Mingus and Thelonius Monk.

Browsing my online music library reminds me of the cats my cousin grew up with, Mingus and Mojo, who were cared for so lovingly by his dad. My uncle was once a jazz musician and music teacher who loved to talk about jazz, although these were conversations I would eavesdrop in on rather than join. I could never keep up and never had much of an interest.

It's a bit sad and strange, then, that I should just now be getting into jazz as my uncle is losing his memory and his ability to talk about music in the way he once did. I have never met anyone more passionate about the subject.

Food as comfort, jazz as comfort...

No comments:

Post a Comment