Sunday 21 July 2013

Summer vegetable soup

Back in Albany!

Exciting news: while I was away, I signed up for a CSA (community-supported agriculture) share from the local Patroon Land Farm. This means a fresh load of vegetables each week: beautiful kale, fennel, corn, lettuce, lots and lots of squash and zucchini, etc. For only $100, I will have fresh, local vegetables through October. I like CSA's because they take the decision about which vegetables I need to buy (which, as you might imagine, occupies a lot of brain power) out of my hands. Instead, I am presented with the challenge of how to use different (and abundant) vegetables.

This recipe comes from my friend Sasha's grandmother, the source of many delicious vegetable dishes.

Summer vegetable soup (two small servings):

  • 1 large zucchini or squash or several heads of broccoli (really any vegetable you like)
  • 4 cloves of fresh garlic
  • 1 small onion (I used three large scallions from my farm share instead)
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
  • 1-2 tablespoons sour cream or Greek yogurt
  • (chicken stock optional)
  • salt & pepper

Chop the garlic and onion into small pieces. Heat the olive oil and add the garlic and onions, cooking for a minute, until fragrant. Meanwhile, chop the zucchini into 1" pieces (skin on), then add to the hot pan. Saute over high heat, adding a 1/4-cupful of water (or chicken stock) as needed, until the zucchini is soft, much softer than usual for eating. You should be able to crush a piece using just the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper.

Turn off the heat and allow the zucchini to cool. Using a food processor or immersion blender, puree the zucchini entirely, then add sour cream or yogurt to taste. Enjoy warm or cold.



Everything has grown much greener since I left

No comments:

Post a Comment