Saturday 19 April 2014

The overly prescribed life

As a runner, I track my exercise. I love my Google calendar, and I mark blocks of time spent in class, at the library, studying lectures at home, etc. Sometimes I note what I'm eating to make sure I'm getting enough protein and not too much sugar. As a second year, I have to make a carefully thought-out, oft-discussed, and re-edited study schedule to make sure that the six open weeks I have to study for the USMLE Step 1 exam are not squandered.

And I'm one of the more "chill" med students.

But something has got to give. Unable to stand it any longer, I've let up a bit on the running schedule. My friends have too. And when it comes to cooking -- a dash of this, a dash of that, this temperature sounds about right, let's just watch it until it seems done -- flexibility serves me well most of the time. After all, it's not surgery.

So recently I made my first brisket, which was perfect because it is nearly impossible to go wrong with beef. It's so high in fat that it melts and tastes good all on its own. After a quick chat about it with my dad, I vaguely followed Joan Nathan's brisket, although made it even simpler.

Brisket:
  • beef roast or brisket cut (could likely make another meat the same way)
  • half head of garlic
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1 mini can of tomato paste
  • 1/4 bottle red wine
  • canola oil
On the stove, heat a little bit of canola oil in a large, oven-proof roasting pan. Lay the beef down in the oil and allow it cook at medium-high heat for a few minutes. Once it smells fragrant (like a hamburger), turn it over and brown the other side. Browning the meat first seals in the juices.

As you're cooking the beef on the stove top, peel the garlic, slice the onion, and chop the carrot and celery. Once the second side has browned, smear the beef with tomato paste, sprinkle all the vegetables over the top, and pour a couple of cups of wine and water over the whole thing. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven at 300 degrees.

Allow to roast, checking periodically, for 2-3 hours. Make sure there is always 1-2" of liquid around the meat. Use a cup measure or ladle to spoon some of the juices back on top of the meat. Turn off the heat and leave in the oven for another 1-2 hours (I went to class).

Refrigerate overnight so that you can skim off (and discard) the top layer of fat in the morning. Too much liquid fat in the gravy detracts from the taste. Slice the beef against the grain (you skeletal muscle experts know what I'm talking about) while it's still cold. Lay out again in the pot, cover with gravy, and reheat at 250 degrees for about an hour. Adjust salt and pepper.

While brisket is pretty expensive, small portions served with sides comfortably satisfies a large number of people.

 Before


After: nothing a good scrubbing couldn't fix

2 comments:

Scotthaas said...

Nora Ephron: “What I love about cooking is that after a hard day, there is something comforting about the fact that if you melt butter and add flour and then hot stock, it will get thick! It’s a sure thing! It’s sure thing in a world where nothing is sure; it has a mathematical certainty in a world where those of us who long for some kind of certainty are forced to settle for crossword puzzles.”

Anonymous said...

So "chill" in fact that we're gonna go running this week

Post a Comment