Sunday 24 November 2013

My friends can cook!

Friday afternoon I saw my third hospital in-patient: this woman was sicker than the previous two. Fifty-seven going on 75, she had profound edema and venous stasis as a result of congestive heart failure and acute kidney failure; the suspected underlying cause is amyloidosis (abnormal protein formation and deposition in tissues), possible of multiple myeloma form. I have already been introduced to amyloidosis and multiple myeloma this year, but of course I remembered nothing about them until I looked it up Friday night. And I found, contrary to what I might have expected, that spending time reading up on these diseases online--dwelling on this woman's condition in a scientific sense--made me care more about her in a human sense. This caring happened subconsciously, until I landed upon the prognosis and sat back, surprised and sad.

In happier news, last night we had a Thanksgiving potluck at our place. In case you thought med students couldn't cook, here's a list of our spread (all homemade):

Dinner items:
  • poutine with mushroom gravy
  • stuffed mushrooms
  • potato latkes and apple sauce
  • sweet potato fries
  • spicy stuffed sweet potatoes
  • purple mashed potatoes
  • some cranberry-whipped cream-gelatin floating concoction
  • veggie loaf "brisket" with veggies
  • roast broccoli
  • roast green beans with crispy onions and almonds
  • sausage, bean, kale, and sweet potato soup
  • salad with walnuts and cranberries
  • dinner rolls
  • naan

Dessert items:
  • pumpkin and apple pies
  • apple crisp (two versions)
  • rhubarb crisp
  • baklava

No comments:

Post a Comment