Tuesday 24 September 2013

Familiar flavors

Since my grandmother died this summer, my dad has continued undeterred to imitate her voice. It's freaky to hear that strong Brooklyn accent now that she's gone.

I can't imitate voices, but I do have a knack for imitating flavors, whether or not I set out with the intention. It's comforting to work your way through a recipe (off-book or on-book) and end up with a flavor that is almost shockingly familiar.

This week it was turkey chili, cooked from habit, without a single thought or creative decision, that tastes exactly like dinner at home. What a way to hit the first of fall and mitigate the stress of lymph-heme. A couple of weeks ago, it was a Jewish apple cake from Smitten Kitchen. If Deb's mom didn't read the same recipe as my grandmother, then I don't know what. Could the same mutation have arisen independently twice?

Can we apply this to our patients? Is there anything we can do to offer a degree of familiarity and comfort in an otherwise foreign and scary situation? A story, a familiar word of advice, something cultural we share?



Embryological development of an apple cake

No comments:

Post a Comment